|Text on Button||“Oh Be Jolly!” Van Nostrand’s Ale P.B. Breweries|
Black and red text on a brown wood background with a green leaf wreath with a gold and red label in center.
|Back Paper / Back Info||
(union bug) Button made by The Whitehead & Hoag Co., Newark, N.J., U.S.A. Pat. April 14, 1896 July 21, 1896
|Curl Text||THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO., NEWARK, N.J.|
|Year / Decade Made|
In 1821, John Cooper and Thomas Gould established a brewery in the Charlestown neighborhood of Boston, Massachusetts. When William Van Nostrand acquired interest in 1860, he gradually expanded production and distribution. His son, Alonzo G. Van Nostrand, originated the “P.B. Ale” (Purest and Best) brand. In the 1890’s, Alonzo became the sole proprietor of the brewery which was now known as the Bunker Hill Brewery. It operated until Prohibition. In addition to P.B. Ale, the brewery also manufactured; Boston Club Lager, Bunker Hill Lager, Old Musty Ale, Owl Musty and Van Nostrand's Porter.
See more photos of pre- and post-prohibition beer buttons on the Busy Beaver blog.