|Text on Button||Patience The New York Public Library|
Black text on a grey background.
Founded in 1872 under the name, "Astor Library", the New York Public Library did not expand to more than a few locations until the early 1900s when Andrew Carnegie funded the construction of 65 branches, including the Main Branch in Midtown. The NYPL is the second largest library system in America, smaller than only the Library of Congress. Despite this, the library has struggled to sustain funding throughout the years, leading to the founding of the Committee to Save the NYPL, which was founded to fight the planned removal of the stacks in the Main Branch. This was eventually abandoned. The Main Branch is distinguished by the two stone lions that flank its entrance, nicknamed "Patience" and "Fortitude". They, along with the building itself were declared historical landmarks in 1967.
"New York Public Library". (1967, January 11). New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission. Retrieved from http://www.neighborhoodpreservationcenter.org/db/bb_files/NY-PUBLIC-LIB…
"CITY WILL ACCEPT MR. CARNEGIE'S LIBRARIES; Formal Action by the Board of Estimate to Be Taken To-morrow". (1901, March 17).The New York Times. Retrieved from https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1901/03/17/117957380.html….
Sherman, Scott. (2015). "Patience and Fortitude: Power, Real Estate, and the Fight to Save a Public Library". Melville House: New York.