Black text over a green and yellow illustration of a monument with green trees
The Eternal Light Peace Memorial is located on Oak Hill, just outside Gettysburg, Pennsylvania commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Civil War. It was dedicated by President Franklin Roosevelt in July of 1938 and was unveiled by two Civil War veterans; one from the Union army and another from the Confederate. The monument gets its name from the eternal flame that burns at the top.
Over 250,000 people attended the unveiling of the monument, including nearly 2,000 Civil War veterans. It cost approximately $60,000 to build and was funded by donations from the Northern and Southern United States. This included the granite and limestone used to build the monument, which were mined from Maine and Alabama, respectively.
Hawkes, S. (2018). Eternal Light Peace Memorial. The Battle of Gettysburg. Retrieved from http://gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/other-monuments/eternal-light-peace...