Center of the button contains the Dubuque Malting Company logo encircled by a thin gold ring and bunches of green grains. Black text is found along the rim.
Made by The Whitehead & Hoag Co., Newark, N.J., U.S.A. Patented July 17, 1894 April 14, 1896 July 21, 1896
THE WHITEHEAD & HOAG CO., NEWARK, N.J.
Increased demand for beer prompted four local breweries to consolidate in May 1892. The A. Heeb Brewing Company, Northern Brewing Company, Iowa Brewery and the Western Brewery joined together to form the Dubuque Brewing Company, which later changed its name to the Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company. In 1910, Dubuque Brewing and Malting Company had grown to become the largest manufacturer in Iowa. The brewery acquired a great deal of property. Many saloon operators simply rented from the brewery until laws were passed stating that breweries could not own and control other business property. To get around this law, the Dubuque Realty Company was formed. This business was nothing more than a holding company for the brewery which could continue to profit from the rented property.