An illustration of the Adler Planetarium on a green lawn above a black flag depicting the Earth and pink text above black text all encircled by a yellow border.
Adler Planetarium was the first modern planetarium in the Western Hemisphere. Founded by Chicago business man, Max Adler, the planetarium opened on May 12, 1930. The exhibit includes the oldest and finest astronomical instruments such as sundials and telescopes. In addition, the Adler also possess rare books and archives on astronomy. The planetarium has three full size theaters and is home to the Doane Observatory, which contains the largest aperture telescope open to the public in the Chicago area. The Adler Planetarium continues to contribute to astronomy and raise public awareness and offers many adolescent programs.