THE WHITEHEAD AND HOAG ADVERTISING SPECIALTIES, NEWARK, N.J., EMERGENCY FUSE FOR AUTOMOBILE HORN & LIGHTING CIRCUIT
Goldenrod background with black text. A metal clip holding a small fuse is centered.
The Whitehead & Hoag Co. Buttons, Badges, Novelties and Signs, Newark, N.J.
Whitehead and Hoag was founded in 1892 in Newark, New Jersey. The company is best known for obtaining the first patent on the pinback button, issued on July 21, 1896. At the turn of the century, they were one of the largest advertising firms in the world. In addition to buttons, they also produced badges, flags, calendars, banners, and other advertising novelties. Whitehead and Hoag produced vast quantities of political buttons for all parties. During World War II, the company produced badges worn by workers in war production plants. In 1959, Whitehead and Hoag Co. was sold to Bastian Brothers, a long time competitor.
SOURCE: WHITEHEAD & HOAG COMPANY HISTORY. (n.d.). Retrieved March 25, 2013, from http://www.tedhake.com